Ancient Egyptians were probably the first to use essential oils, but today they are more popular than ever. This should not come as a surprise to you, because essential oils are good for many purposes.
Essential oils have strong aromatherapy, healing and household cleaning properties. They can be also used as beauty care products. But, you should remember that essential oils are not really oils. They are obtained by distillation or extraction of different parts of plants, including flowers, leaves, bark, root, resin, and peel.
In the past, Israelites and Egyptians made these by soaking plants in a carrier oil and then filtering them using a linen bag or cloth.
Essential oils are packed with strong antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties. In this article we give you 100 ways to use essential oils, and carefully read each of them in order to use the maximum of these gifts of nature.
1. All-purpose cleaner -- Combine 3 drops of lemon oil, tea tree oil and some warm water. Use a spray bottle and disinfect your countertops naturally.
2. Natural mosquito repellent -- Mix lemongrass, citronella, and eucalyptus oil, and add a teaspoon of coconut oil. A drop of each oil is just fine. Your natural bug spray is ready for use.
3. Sports gear -- Add 2 drops of both tea tree and lemon essential oil, and some baking soda to your jerseys, cleats and sports gear.
4. Purify air -- Cinnamon essential oil works great for this purpose, as it is packed with strong anti-microbial properties.
5. Homemade peppermint patties -- Combine peppermint oil, coconut oil, dark chocolate and organic honey to make amazing peppermint treats.
6. Washing machine -- 10-20 drops of your favorite essential oil are just enough for a single load.
7. Vacuum cleaner -- 5-10 drops of essential oil are enough for your vacuum bag.
8. Homemade sunscreen -- Combine coconut oil, zinc oxide, shea butter, helichrysum oil and lavender essential oil. Keep your toxic-free sunscreen in squeeze bottles.
9. Get rid of shower curtain scum -- Mix warm water, 4 drops of eucalyptus and 4 drops of tea tree oil (melaleuca) into a 16 ounce spray bottle. Spray the mixture on your curtains to kill any molds.
10. Burnt pans -- Lemon oil and boiling water work great when it comes to removing burnt food from your pots.
11. Keep your home smelling great -- Diffuse some clove, rosemary, and orange essential oils before your guests come over. Enjoy hearing them talk about how wonderful your home smells.
12. Clean carpets -- Combine Borax and 20 drops of tea tree oil and your homemade carpet powder is ready for use.
13. Eliminate pests -- Mix orange and clove oil, and spray the mixture to get rid of any pests.
14. Lavender cake -- you need coconut flour, raw honey, organic eggs and lavender essential oil. Bake at 350 degrees.
15. Get rid of mold -- Diffuse tea tree oil to get rid of mold and other pathogens in air.
16. Christmas spirit -- Combine a drop of pine, sandalwood, or cedarwood oil and add the mixture to your fire log half an hour before burning.
17. Anxiety -- Lavender essential oil is great; It reduces stress and tension.
18. Spiritual enlightenment -- Diffuse some frankincense essential oil while you pray, meditate or read. This will increase your spiritual awareness.
19. Bathtub scrub -- Combine half a cup of baking soda, half a cup of vinegar, and 5 drops of Bergamot or Lime oil. Use this mixture as a scrub for your sink or bathtub.
20. Freshen your trashcan -- Put 2 drops of lemon oil and tea tree oil on a cotton ball. Place it at the bottom of the trashcan. This will help you decrease odors and detoxify your trashcan.
21. Wash produce -- Add 2 drops of lemon oil into a large container of water. Wash your fruits and vegetables.
22. Keep your kitchen smelling nice -- Put some clove, cinnamon or citrus essential oil into a simmering pan of water. This will eliminate any cooking odors.
23. Bathroom freshener -- Soak a cotton ball in some lime or lemon oil. Keep it behind the toilet.
24. Purify fridge -- Freshen up your fridge or freezer. Add some lime, grapefruit or bergamot oil to the water you use for cleaning your fridge.
25. Mint tea -- Add peppermint essential oil to your tea. This will give you a hint of mint.
26. Get rid of smoke -- Eliminate the cigarette smoke by putting 4 drops of rosemary, tea tree and eucalyptus oil into a spray bottle. Spray the mixture around the house.
27. Detoxify the air -- Dispel fumes by adding peppermint and eucalyptus oil to a gallon of paint.
28. Eliminate shoe smell -- Add a few drops of tea tree and lemon oil to your shoes.
29. Bridal shower gift -- Make a “love potion” using essential oils. Combine 20 drops of sandalwood, 4 drops of cocoa, vanilla and rose oil to some unscented lotion. This is the best bridal shower gift.
30. Baby shower gift – give a wall diffuser with a lavender scent to calm the mom and baby.
31. Flavored lemon water -- Add 2-3 drops of lemon oil for a tasty citrus flavor.
32. Clean dishes -- Add some lemon oil to your dishwasher before using it. This will provide a spot-free rinse.
33. Physician kit -- Makeover your home medicine cabinet using essential oils, and turn it into a family physician kit. Always have lavender, lemon, peppermint, tea tree, oregano and frankincense essential oils.
Spa and Relaxation
34. Better sleep -- Lavender oil alleviates insomnia. Sprinkle some lavender oil on your pillow and enjoy a goodnight’s sleep.
35. Body butter lotion -- Combine coconut oil, shea butter, magnesium oil, and essential oils. Your moisturizing body lotion is ready for use.
36. Lip balm -- When combined together, coconut oil, beeswax and lavender oil create an amazing healing balm. It is especially good for chapped lips.
37. Relieve tension -- Rub a single drop of lavender oil on your hands and cup them to your nose. Let the smell relax you.
38. Massage -- Combine a few drops of cedarwood or lavender oil and unscented lotion. Use it during a massage therapy.
39. Instant relaxation -- Combine 2-4 drops of chamomile, lavender and peppermint essential oil. Apply the mixture to your temples. This will provide a cooling effect and relaxation.
40. Detox bath -- Add lavender oil, Epsom salts, and sea salt to your warm bath. This will purify and rejuvenate your body.
41. Sauna -- Add 2 drops of essential oil to 2 cups of water in the sauna.
42. Calm your upset child -- Rub on some lavender or chamomile oil to your child’s stuffed toys.
43. Foot bath -- Add lemon or eucalyptus oil to a large bowl of warm water.
44. Get rid of depression -- Add rose oil to your bath, inhalations or diffusers to boost your mood and relieve depression.
45. Yoga and pilates -- Inhale lavender or sandalwood before your yoga or meditation class. Use clove and citrus essential oil to clean your yoga mat.
46. Mint chocolate cocoa -- Make some instant minty chocolate by adding 2-3 drops of peppermint oil to your hot cocoa.
Skin and Beauty
47. Reduce cellulite -- Combine 5 drops of grapefruit essential oil and 2 teaspoons of coconut oil. Rub the mixture directly on the skin area.
48. Natural perfume -- Apply 1-2 drops of jasmine essential oil on your wrist. Many women also prefer the smell of lavender and vanilla. Men often choose cypress and clove essential oil.
49. Acne face wash -- Mix tea tree oil and raw honey. Rub the mixture on your face. Rinse well.
50. Freshen your breath -- A drop of peppermint essential oil will freshen your breath naturally.
51. Homemade shampoo -- Combine lavender and rosemary oil, add aloe vera gel and coconut milk. Use this homemade shampoo same as your regular shampoo. It will last for 2-4 weeks.
52. Homemade deodorant -- Mix coconut oil, beeswax and essential oil. Men often choose cedarwood and clove oil, and women go for lavender and tea tree oil.
53. Sugar scrub -- Combine some essential oil, almond oil and rock sugar or salt. Your homemade sugar or salt scrub is ready for use.
54. Homemade toothpaste -- Make your own remineralizing toothpaste using sea salt, baking soda, coconut oil, xylitol, and peppermint essential oil. Brush your teeth.
55. Body spray -- 5-10 drops of essential oil are enough for 4 ounces of water.
56. Itchy scalp -- Lavender, cedarwood or basil reduce itching.
57. Thicken your hair -- Add rosemary oil to your shampoo to thicken your hair and increase its volume.
58. Strengthen your nails -- Combine 10 drops of frankincense, myrrh and lemon oil, then add 2 tablespoons of vitamin E oil. Rub the mixture on your cuticles.
59. Reduce wrinkles -- Add 3-5 drops of sandalwood, geranium, lavender, and frankincense oil to some unscented lotion. Apply it on your face. Avoid the area around your eyes
60. Whiten your teeth -- Mix lemon essential oil, coconut oil and fresh strawberries. Rub the mixture on your teeth. Leave it on for 2 minutes and rinse.
61. Cure dandruff –- Mix 5 drops of rosemary and lavender to 3 tablespoons of unscented oil. Massage into scalp and leave on for 10 minutes. Shampoo mixture out.
62. Reduce stretch marks -– mix 5 drops of frankincense, myrrh and grapefruit with coconut oil and apply to stretch marks.
63. Facial scrub –- Mix 1/4 cup yogurt, 1/4 cup cornmeal, and 5 drops of patchouli, grapefruit and lavender oil. Apply to face and wash off.
64. Natural skin toner -– Mix 8 ounces of water with 2 drops of lavender, geranium and frankincense.
65. Deep hair conditioner –- mix 15 drops of rosewood with 5 drops of sandalwood and lavender into unscented oil. Place mixture in a small plastic bag and dunk into warm water to heat up. Apply to hear and wrap for 20 minutes. Shampoo as usual.
66. Reduce age spots –- Put on frankincense essential oil 3x daily directly on skin to improve sun spots and age spots.
67. For oily hair -– mix 10 drops of ylang ylang, lime, and rosemary oil with 2 ounces of unscented oil. Massage it scalp 2-3 times per week. Wash out as usual.
68. Heal dry cracked feet -– Add 3 drops of lavender oil to 2 tbsp coconut oil. Apply to feet at night and put on socks.
69. Relieve nausea -– Smell peppermint oil to alleviate nausea, apply to neck and upper chest. Ginger and lavender may also help.
Essential Oil Remedies and Natural Medicine
70. Migraine headache relief – Try combining a few drops of lavender oil and peppermint oil and apply to temples to help with headaches and migraines.
71. Reduce cough or sinusitis -– Eucalyptus oil is known for its powerful ability to fight coughs and open airways. Add a few drops into steaming hot water or diffuser. Inhale to help clear nasal passage.
72. Repair broken bones -– To support healing of broken bones apply helichrysum, fir and cypress essential oils.
73. Heal burns –- Mix lavender oil with aloe vera to treat burns.
74. Soothe bug bites -– Use lavender oil for bug bites and stings.
75. Improve digestion -– Take ginger oil, peppermint oil and fennel essential oil to support digestion and healing leaky gut.
76. Bronchitis and asthma remedy -– Make a homemade vapor rub by combing eucalyptus, peppermint and coconut oil. Rub on chest and neck.
77. Treat bruises -– Use essential oils as a hot compress to treat bruises or other wounds. Add 5 drops of lavender and 5 drops of frankincense to 4 oz hot water and soak. Apply to affected area.
78. Improve concentration –- Inhale bergamot, grapefruit or peppermint oil to increase concentration during the day.
79. Sore feet soak -– add 10 drops of peppermint oil with a tablespoon of Epson salt and add to a foot-bath with warm water.
80. Reduce teeth grinding -– Massage 1-3 drops of lavender on the bottom of the feet and behind ears before bed.
81 Relieve PMS -– mix 2 drops of sage, basil, and rosemary and apply to a warm, moist hand towel and apply to abdomen.
82. Eczema and psoriasis cream -– Treat eczema, psoriasis or red dry skin apply a mixture of lavender essential oil with shea butter.
83. Improve circulation – Add 8-10 drops of grapefruit essential oil in warm bathwater.
84. Relieve hangover symptoms -– Add 6 drops each of juniper berry, cedarwood, grapefruit, lavender, rosemary, and lemon oil into a warm bath.
85. Curb food cravings -– Inhale peppermint oil and cinnamon oil to reduce your appetite and balance blood sugar.
86. Energize your workout -– Inhale peppermint oil before a workout to reduce fatigue.
87. Reduce fever -– Add 1-3 drops of eucalyptus, peppermint, and lavender to a cool cloth and sponge the body.
88. Relieve motion sickness -– Use peppermint, lavender and ginger oil to reduce motion sickness.
89. Arthritis relief -– Mix 2 drops of wintergreen, cypress, and lemongrass into an unscented lotion. Massage into affected areas.
90. Treat ringworm -– Combine 3 drops of tea tree oil with coconut oil oil and massage over affected area twice per day.
91. Head lice cure -– Mix 3 drops of thyme, lavender, and eucalyptus oil with unscented oil and apply to scalp. Cover head with a shower cap and leave on for 30 minutes. Shampoo out.
92. Heal blistered skin – Mix 2 drops of tea tree oil with 2 drops of unscented oil and apply to blistered area up to 5x per day.
93. Soothe a sunburn -– Combine lavender or chamomile oil with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and apply to skin with a cotton ball to reduce swelling and pain.
94. Treat poison oak or poison ivy -– Mix 3 drops of peppermint oil with unscented oil and apply to affected area.
95. Lose weight –- Combine grapefruit oil, ginger oil and cinnamon oil and take as supplement 3x daily to support metabolism.
96. Boost immune system -– Mix 1 drop of oregano oil with 4 drops of carrier oil and rub on the bottom of your feet before flying on a plane.
97. Achy muscle rub -– Mix eucalyptus, wintergreen and cypress with an unscented lotion or coconut oil and apply to muscles.
98. Improve allergies -– Rub frankincense and lavender on your palms and inhale deeply to relieve itchy eyes and throat.
99. Kick a cold fast -– Take 3 drops of oil of oregano and frankincense 3x daily for 1 week.
100. Reduce back and neck pain -– Combine peppermint oil, cypress oil, ginger oil, cayenne pepper and coconut oil for a homemade pain relieving muscle rub.
Source: Complete Health & Happiness
Share It To Your Friends!