Again…I want to eat another spoonful, then another spoonful and I just want to complete the whole bottle.
I think rather I am sure that I am not the only one who loves the tempting taste of peanut butter.
It is readily available in the market and immediately you can go and grab a bottle of peanut butter to satiate your appetite. But what I think here is to unravel both the flip and flop side of eating peanut butter.
Let’s first find out –is peanut butter good for you?
How Peanut Butter is Made?
Before finding out whether peanut butter is good for you or not, I think it is really important to know how peanut butter is made.
Well, when you go to the supermarket, you find a number of good brands selling this product, which often have sugar in them along with many other things that you would not like to eat.
Here, I am talking about peanut butter, which is pure and heavenly and without the addition of any preservatives and other things. You can make it at your home to make a healthy spread for your bread slices as well as for your other indulgences.
- Unsalted peanuts – 1 ½ cups
- Pure peanut oil – 1 tsp
- A food processor
- Take 1 ½ cups of peanuts in the food processor and add 1 tsp of peanut oil to it.
- Now process the peanuts and the oil until it becomes very smooth.
- Your yummy peanut butter is ready to satiate your hunger pangs!
Is Peanut Butter Good for You
I know that like me you also want to finish the peanut butter at one go that you prepared now. But, hold on!
One day while savoring the freshly baked slices of bread with the mouth-watering peanut butter, one thing struck me. I just thought is the peanut butter, which I love the most, good for me, if I eat it regularly.
To eat it sometimes and small amounts will not bring any health hazards, but is it same when you take it regularly and that to full spoons. Let’s find out:
As per Harvard Health Letter, peanut butter is healthy. Peanut butter is loaded with vitamins, minerals and some nutrients. Unsalted peanut butter has amazing potassium to sodium ratio, which will protect from cardiovascular attacks. Its daily consumption also keeps type II diabetes at bay.
Peanut Butter is Full of Vitamins and Nutrition
Peanut butter is yummy and at the same time full of vitamins and nutrition, which make it a healthy option. It is rich in protein, Vitamin E and monounsaturated fats (healthy fat) that regulate cholesterol level in the body. It also contains small amount of magnesium, zinc and Vitamin B6, which helps to increase the immunity power of the body to fight diseases.
Peanut Butter Nutrition Facts per 1 tbsp
- Nutrition Facts – 94 kcal
- Protein – 4.01 g
- Carbohydrate – 3.13 g
- Sugar – 1.48 g
- Fat – 8.06 g
- Saturated Fat – 1.647 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat – 2.219 g
- Cholesterol – 0 mg
- Fibre – 1 g
- Sodium – 73 mg
- Potassium – 104 mg
Peanut butter is not only rich in protein but also rich in fiber, which is very much needed to for the proper functioning of the body parts, necessary for a healthy body.
Contains Loads of Potassium
Peanut butter also contains a lot of potassium in it, which is helps you stay away from stroke, kidney and heart disorders. It also reduces the stress and anxiety level; maintains metabolism in the body; and takes care of the nervous system. It also maintains electrolytes balance in the body and ensures the normal functioning of the cells.
Rich in Manganese
Peanut butter is also a good source of manganese, which helps to maintain the healthy bone structure. It also creates necessary enzymes to build bones and maintain bone metabolism. It takes care of the metabolic activity of the body. The other benefits of manganese include the creation of connective tissues, regulation of blood sugar level and the hormones of the thyroid gland. Etc. So the consumption of peanut butter helps you to be healthy in these ways.
Helps to Lose Weight
According to the Obesity journal, the person who eats nuts twice a week is likely to gain 30% less weight than the person who never or very rarely eats nuts. We read it earlier that peanut butter is rich in protein as well as in fiber, so its consumption makes one to feel full for longer period of time. As a result, you will feel less hungry, which means you will eat less food that will ultimately lead to lose weight.
Boosts the Energy Level
As it contains good amount of fiber and healthy fat, its consumption keeps you energized. Its consumption gives you the required amount of calories for your daily activities. So take peanut butter in the morning to maintain the energy level throughout the day.
Keeps Alzheimer’s disease at Bay
The consumption of foods that are rich in niacin helps prevent Alzheimer’s disease. Peanut butter is a good source of niacin, so the consumption of peanut butter helps one to keep Alzheimer’s disease at the bay.
Reduces the Risk of Heart Diseases
People who eat four servings of peanut butter per week are 37 less likely to get heart diseases than the people who rarely eat peanut butter or never ate peanut butter. As per a study by the British Journal of Nutrition, the consumption of peanut butter lowers the bad LDL cholesterol level in the body and maintains the good HDL cholesterol level in the body.
Is Peanut Butter Bad For You?
Just now we read that loaded with good fat, potassium, Vitamin E and many other nutrients, peanut butter helps one to lose weight, prevents Alzheimer’s disease, and reduces the risk of heart diseases. But to tell the truth, it also contains few substances, which will make you think twice to indulge in this yummy spread liberally.
Contains More Aflatoxins
Peanut contains a lot of aflatoxins, which are toxin and highly carcinogenic in nature. So the consumption of more peanut nut butter may lead to liver diseases. The excessive consumption of peanut butter also affects the growth of the small children and mental illness.
Its Omega-6 Content Risks Your Health
Peanut butter contains a good amount of Omega-6 or linoleic acid in it. So when you consume peanut butter in excessive amounts, it may result in inflammation.
Oxalate Content May Cause Health Problems
Peanut butter also contains another substance called Oxalates, which upon consumption gets concentrated in body’s fluids and turns into crystals. So the people who are suffering from gallbladder issues should avoid taking peanut butter.
Pesticides in it Harms Your Health
Peanut crops are heavily contaminated with pesticides, so also peanut butter. So when we consume peanut butter, in a way we also intake pesticides with it, which may badly affect our health in the long run if we consume it in excessive quantity.
Causes Allergic Reaction
Some people who are allergic to peanut also develop allergies by eating peanut butter. Sometimes the allergy becomes so severe that it causes life-threatening situations. It may sometimes result in creating breathing problem and asthma attack.
Eat Peanut Butter but with a Caution
Peanut butter is a rich source of nutrition, vitamins and minerals. It also prevents many diseases like coronary heart diseases, type II diabetes etc. But the fact is that it also includes some other substances that may create health risks. But What I feel here is eating excessive of anything is bad for the health and the good news is if you eat peanut butter in moderate quantity, it will not affect your health, rather it will benefit you.
So eat peanut butter in moderate amount to satisfy your taste buds as well as to get the benefits.
How to Buy a Good Quality Peanut Butter
I know that to eat the peanut butter is the best one for you and that’s why I shared the recipe of making peanut butter at home. But at the same time, I feel for the people who do not have enough time with them to prepare it at home. So at this point you can go to the supermarket to buy your favorite peanut butter. But to get the best quality peanut butter, you should look for certain things before buying it.
Check the label first. Natural and organic peanut butter is the best, which contains no sugar and hydrogenated fats. Choose one with only peanut and salt. Also check whether it contains any additives or not. So, always check the ingredient list before buying.
Peanut Butter Recipes
I know the peanut butter lovers as I am also a big fan of it. I just love it and can eat in any form and in any food. So here I am going to share some delicious but easy peanut butter recipes, which you will definitely love.
Just try your hands on these to gift yourself some yummy, mouth-watering peanut butter recipes.
Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- Ripe Banana – 1
- Peanut Butter – 2 tbsp
- Milk – 1 cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Take all the ingredients in the blender and blend properly to get a smooth texture.
- Now pour this to a glass and enjoy your drink.
- This nutritious smoothie will keep you full for longer period of time.
- Sweet potatoes – 4 (peeled and cut into ¾ inch sizes)
- Big tomatoes – 1
- Ground cumin – 1 ½ tsp
- Ground all spice – ½ tsp
- Peanut butter – ½ cup
- Coriander leaves – 4/5 springs
- Onions – 3 (thinly sliced)
- Water – 2 cups
- In a pressure cooker take all the sweet potatoes, onions, ground cumin, and allspices except the peanut butter.
- Add 2 cups of water to it and stir well.
- Put the lid and cook the ingredients for 30 minutes in low flame.
- Leave the pressure cooker for some time to become cool.
- Take out the lid and now add the peanut butter and fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- Peanut butter – 1 cup
- Honey, 2 tbsp
- Grated coconut – ¾ cup
- Roasted sesame seeds – ¼ cup
- In a bowl mix together honey and peanut butter.
- Add all the other ingredients except sesame seeds and mix well.
- Take a small amount of this mixture and make small balls.
- Now roll the balls in the sesame seeds and keep aside the finished balls in a plate.
- Likewise make the small balls out of this mixture and let them form in the plate.
- You can eat that then and there if you are not able to resist it.
- You can also store it in an airtight container to relish it while relaxing.
- Peanut butter – 1 tbsp
- Mixed fruit jelly – 1 tbsp
- Bread Slices – 2
- A toaster
- Take 2 slices of bread and toast them in the toaster .
- Now spread the peanut butter in one piece of toasted bread.
- Spread mixed fruit jelly in the other piece of toasted bread.
- Put together both the bread slices and have a bite.
- You will feel heavenly when the peanut butter will melt in your mouth along with the jelly.
- It is very easy to make but gives you a fulfilling experience.
Banana and Peanut Butter Sandwich
- Ripe banana – 1
- Peanut butter – 1 tbsp
- Bread slices – 2
- Take the ripe banana and slice it with the help of a knife.
- Spread the peanut butter in the bread slices.
- Place the banana pieces on the top of the peanut butter.
- Place the other slice of the bread on it.
- Now savor it as your breakfast to give yourself a satisfying experience.
Peanut butter is a good source of proteins and vitamins, which we know, but there are also few interesting facts about peanut butter, which we do not know. Let’s know it!
- If a diabetic patient eats just a tablespoon of peanut butter, it will help lower the high blood sugar level.
- Most of the peanut butters are vegan and gluten free.
- Peanut butter also fights cancer. The girls between the age group of 9 to 15 are less likely to develop breast cancer than the girls who rarely eat or never ate peanut butter.
- Americans spend almost $800 million a year on peanut butter.
- Each year peanuts contribute more than 4 billion to the US economy.
- The peanut butters that the Americans eat every year can coat the floor of the Grand Canyon.
- Men like to eat crunchy peanut butter whereas children and women like to eat creamy peanut butter.
- Four of the top candy bars in the US either contain or peanut butter.
- Peanuts that are produced in 1 acre of land can make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches.
- United States is the largest producer as well as consumer of peanut butter. Nearly 75% of people in US consume peanut butter.
Stay healthy and positive! Share and make your loved ones aware!
Source: My Health Tips
Share It To Your Friends!