Causes of Itchy Scalp
Causes of itchy scalp can be several. One needs to go through the following list of possible causes to figure out which is most applicable for one’s condition:
- The most common problem is the dandruff. This again can be brought on by a number of other factors like dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis and others.
- When one suffers from dandruff and itchy scalp, it could indicate that one is suffering from a scalp infection which could be fungal in nature
- Dandruff could be of the mild or severe kind, depending on the source of the main ailment or skin condition that brings it on in the first place
- In children, an itchy scalp is usually due to attack of lice. The lice are a form of parasite that feeds on the blood from the scalp. The saliva of the pest creates an allergic reaction for which the hair or the scalp itches.
The symptoms of such a condition are few:
- Persistent urge to itch the scalp
- Flaky skin or tiny white particles coming off the scalp
- Hair or scalp feels dry and flaky
- The skin could be punctured and a bruise or an open wound could form due to the itchiness or the infection formed on the scalp
Simple & Effective Home Remedies to Get Rid of Itchy Scalp
Even if itchy scalp is not a condition to be alarmed by, you need to know that there are many home remedies that can come of help in order to get rid of the persistent itchiness that exists in the scalp for various reasons.
1. Create The Essential Oil Mixture
As itchy scalp is usually brought on by a dry scalp, an essential oil mixture treatment will do a world of good to the scalp as well as the hair. One can make a mixture of
Natural oils like tea tree oil, coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, avocado oil and lavender oil.
The amount that can be used on the hair depends on the length of the hair.
The oil can be put to use on regular basis till the itchiness reduces.
2. Using A Mask
Honey is known for its richness and its role as a natural moisturizer. It is an antibiotic agent. One can create a hair mask with the following:
- Add on a ripe banana and mash it with honey
- Mix onion juice in it
- Make a paste out of the mixture
- Apply and leave on scalp for twenty minutes
- Rinse off or shampoo your hair
3. Using Hot Oil
A great remedy for hair as well as dry scalp is hot oil. It helps the scalp to retain moisture and reduces the dryness felt on the scalp.
- Take some olive oil
- Warm it
- Add drops of honey
- Massage on for a few minutes
- Shampoo off the hair after a few minutes.
Lemon is known to be a useful ingredient when it comes to healing itchy scalp.
- Fresh lemon juice needs to be poured on the scalp.
- Shampoo off the juice from the scalp after a few minutes as it has a drying effect on the scalp.
It is known that apple cider vinegar is a powerful anti inflammatory substance that kills off viruses and yeast.
A mixture of apple cider vinegar and water would make a great home remedy for the itchy scalp
- The scalp needs to be rinsed with clear water
- The mixture should then be added with soft cotton
- Then the hair should be shampooed off.
It is known that baking soda is useful as a natural remedy:
- A mixture of baking soda and water should be made
- This should be applied to the itchy scalp
- Once it is allowed to stay on the scalp for some time, it should be washed off.
Aloe vera is known to have many beneficial properties for the skin as well as for the scalp.
- One can apply the gel on the scalp
- Once it is on the scalp for sometime it should be shampooed off
Many people swear by this simple oil which is known or its wonders for hair.
- For itchy scalp a little bit can be warmed and massaged on the scalp
- Once it is kept on the hair for sometime, the hair can be washed off
- Regular use of coconut oil is recommended for those who have itchy scalp problem.
Tea tree oil is known to be a beneficial ingredient for the hair:
- It has anti inflammatory properties
- It has anti bacterial properties
- It is recommended that the tea tree oil be added to the scalp regularly.
- It will definitely help to ease itchiness, flakiness as well as any swelling that might appear on the scalp.
It is important to follow a balanced and nutritious diet for a healthy scalp:
- Ensure balanced amounts of micronutrients in one’s diet
- Nuts, fruits, vegetables and other essential ingredients should be consumed
If you are facing an itchy scalp:
- It is recommended that you change the shampoo that you use regularly
- You could opt for a more gentler and moisturizing shampoo and conditioner to reduce the dryness of the scalp
One can make the following mixture to make a conditioning and moisturizing mask for the hair:
- Mix together olive oil, puree of broccoli and mayonnaise
- Rub on the hair or scalp
- Leave it on and wash it off after sometime. The olive oil will reduce oiliness, the mayonnaise will hydrate while the broccoli will cleanse the scalp deeply.
Many women with long hair and busy schedule might be tying up their hair before it is fully dried.
- Damp hair collects dirt
- Mold can even grow on hair
- Thus, drying and brushing the hair is vital for good health of the air and scalp.
Ensure that you brush your hair regularly, specially if you have long hair.
- It helps to increase blood circulation
- It distributes the natural oil on the scalp
If you are suffering from persistent itchy scalp, it could be due to the alcohol content in the hair product you use.
- Check the labels of the hair shampoo and conditioner
- Check the ingredients listed on the bottles to be sure
If you are not able to create natural conditioners at home all the time:
- Invest in a hydrating conditioner
- Choose a conditioner for the kind of scalp and hair quality you have
If you are out in the sun for long time, ensure that you wear a cap and protect the scalp:
- The scalp too suffers from sun damage
- Long exposure will reduce the oil content and make the scalp dry and itchy
If your scalp is feeling itchy, it could be due to head lice:
- Ask someone to look for tiny white eggs that might be on the hair strands
- If they are found, it is evidence that lice is present
- One needs to wash the hair with anti lice shampoo
- Mayonnaise is a natural treatment for hair lice
Stay healthy and positive! Share and make your loved ones aware!
Source: My Health Tips
Share It To Your Friends!