Red kuri squash is high in Vitamin A, with 1 cup of it delivering 183% of your recommended daily value. Research shows that a Vitamin A deficiency can cause acne, so eat up to support blemish-free skin.
Ginger helps to reduce inflammation in the body, which can aid in bringing down the bumps and redness associated with acne. It also adds warmth and supports the digestive system.
Pumpkin Seeds are a good source of zinc (they deliver 19% of the recommended daily value per ounce) another nutrient that supports clear, blemish free skin. Similar as with Vitamin A, research shows that a lack of zinc can contribute to breakouts and acne.
Red Kuri Squash Soup
- 1 red kuri squash (appx. 4 pounds)
- 1-2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 serrano chile, minced (optional)
- 1 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-6 cups of vegetable broth (depending on desired consistency)*
- Salt, to taste
- Pumpkin seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Cashew sour cream, for garnish (optional; click here for the recipe)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut kuri squash in half, remove seeds, and place cut-side down on a baking sheet. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until a fork will easily pierce the skin.
- Remove from oven and let cool until comfortable to handle.
- Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium low. Add the onions and saute for 3-5 minutes, before adding the chile, ginger, and garlic. Saute another 3 minutes or so, before scooping the flesh of the red kuri squash into the pan. Add vegetable broth as well, and let cook together for about 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer veggie/broth mixture to a blender. When blending hot liquids, remove the center piece on the blender lid and hold a dish towel over the opening to allow the steam to escape without getting squash on your ceiling. Blend until velvety smooth. Add more broth (or water) for a thinner soup, or use less for a thicker one.*
- Salt to taste and serve.
Stay healthy and positive! Share and make your loved ones aware!
Source: David Wolfe
Share It To Your Friends!