One of my favorite tricks to lower the salt in recipes is to use a combination of regular salt (AKA sodium chloride) and No Salt (AKA potassium chloride), or use a product like “light” salt that is roughly a 50/50 mix of sodium chloride and potassium chloride.
Advantages Of Using Potassium Chloride
- It has a salty flavor but doesn’t contain sodium.
- It helps increase your intake of potassium, a nutrient many people lack.
- It helps counteract the effects of sodium.
- It’s pretty much an all-around win. But if you’re on a potassium restriction for medical reasons. avoid using potassium chloride as a salt replacement.
Using a mixture of sodium and potassium is one way to lower sodium intake, but I still encourage people to try to get used to eating food that isn’t too salty. I promise, if you cut back, over time, your taste buds will adjust.
To cut salt even further and add a depth of flavor, you can dilute your salt with other herbs and spices.
Make Your Own Seasoning Salt
Given here is a recipe to make your own seasoning salt at home. It has over 75% less sodium than traditional table salt, sea salt, or Himalayan salt.
- 3 tbsp salt of your choice (I personally prefer an iodized salt since salt is the primary source of iodine in most people’s diet.)
- 3 tbsp potassium chloride
- 1 ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp finely ground pepper
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp celery powder
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Put all the ingredients in an empty salt or seasoning shaker.
- Stir until well mixed.
- You can get creative and find your a spice mix that works for you. This recipe is 3 parts sodium to 3 parts potassium to 8 parts herbs and spices. I like this mixture because it has a rather neutral flavor profile, making it very diverse. It goes well with potatoes, vegetables, in rice, or meats or poultry as an added flavor.
Stay healthy and positive! Share and make your loved ones aware!
Source: Cure Joy
Share It To Your Friends!